Add Website on Google – Are you looking for How to Add your Website on google otherwise known as to Verify Site Ownership Google Webmaster Tools. To start using Google Webmaster Tools you first have to add your site to your Webmaster Tools account then verify site ownership. We will be covering the two easier ways to verify site ownership for the average website/blog owner.
Add Website on Google
Verifying ownership for Google Webmaster Tools seems to be a problem for some people. Not sure what they do wrong but if you follow the instructions below carefully you should not have any problem.
Options for Site Ownership Verification
- Using a meta tag in the head of your home page.
- Using a file uploaded to your web server.
- Adding a DNS record to your domain’s configuration
- Link to an existing Google Analytics account.
Using a meta tag or using a file uploaded to your web server are the two easier ones for the average website/blog owner so we will be covering those.
Site Ownership Verfication Using Meta Tag – Add Website on Google
With the verification using meta tag method, you will be given a specific meta tag to put in home page. This might be used where you do not have access to the root of your site (a hosted ecommerce solution or hosted blogging solution for example). You can use this method for any site but it does require you editing head section of your home page. If you have a site using a content management system try to make sure this tag gets added to the head section of the home page.
The problem with this method is that you need a separate head section just for the home page. When using includes or a DWT (Dynamic Web Template) this is extra work. We prefer the HTML method.
- Click the radio button (circle) beside Add a meta tag to your site’s home page.You custom meta tag appears at the bottom of the screen.
- Copy the meta tag shown into a plain text editor (Notepad for example) and save for safe keeping.
- You now have to paste this custom meta tag into the head section of your home page. The idea is that you keep Google Webmaster Tools open while you do this.The head section of your page is surrounded by an opening head tag and a closing head tag.
You are to paste your custom meta tag just before the closing head tag of your home page.
<meta http-equiv=”Content-Type” content=”text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1″ / >
<title>Title of the document</title>
<meta name=”Description” content=”Your description” />
<meta name=”Keywords” content=”first, second, third” / >
<meta name=”Copyright” content=”Copyright Statement” / >
<link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” href=”styles/stylesht.css”>
Put meta tag here
The example above is for a site using XHTML DOCTYPE declaration. The tags between the opening and closing heads for your site template might be a bit different.
- Upload the updated home page to your web space. You can do this using a FTP client.
- Go back to your browser with Google Webmaster Tools open and click the Verify button at the bottom of the screen.If Google has problems verifying the meta tag they will give you information on what is the problem.
Add Website on Google
Once the site ownership has been verified you should see a Add or remove owners note beside your website listing on your Webmaster Tools Home page.